Updated: Sep 18, 2020
Healthy Banana & Orange Granola.
1 bowl... 3 ingredients... SIMPLE!
I never buy granola at the shops because they are usually packed with un-necessary sugars and syrups. Then when you do find a healthier granola, the price is always way too expensive. So I have created my own healthy granola that is SO easy to make and doesn't require any fancy ingredients.
You probably already have all of the ingredients.
My dad especially likes my granola because he is diabetic and by making him granola myself it means that I can control that amount of sugar that goes into it. And despite this granola tasting nice and sweet from the natural sugars in the fruit, it is actually very low in sugar per serving compared to pretty much all granolas you will find in the shop. And COST wise... it is definitely cheaper than anything you will find in the supermarket.
In the UK you can buy 1kg of oats for 99p, a banana for 13p and an orange for 18p.
So that is £1.30 for the ingredients and you only need roughly 200g of oats. Pretty good if you ask me!
Ok what you are all here for, the recipe!
You will need 1 large bowl, a fork and a non-stick baking tray.
Banana & Orange Granola
INGREDIENTS (8 servings)
- 1 Banana
- 1 Orange; zest & juice
( I got roughly 50ml freshly squeezed juice)
- 200g jumbo oats (you can use regular, but the texture will be a bit different)
1. Mash the banana in a large bowl
2. Squeeze in the juice of the orange and add the zest. Mix until well combined.
3. Stir in the oats until combined, then rub together like you would to make a crumble topping until everything is evenly combined. It should look like a clustery consistency.
5. Spread out evenly on a baking tray.
6. Bake at 180˙C for ~30 minutes until golden, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure an even bake.
7. Leave it to cool and then transfer to an airtight container.
- This recipe is a basic granola base, get experimental with some dried fruits, seeds or nut... or even a little gourmet addition of some dark chocolate chips!
-If you have any other ideas then please leave a comment or if you try it let me know what you think!