Updated: Sep 27, 2020
My flatmate recently got a mug cake recipe book and I was a bit skeptical as my memory of cake made in the microwave was not good.
I made my first ever microwave cake in high school and it really wasn't great. It was a chocolate cake that smelled eggy and the texture was like rubber. So yeah, I think that would put anyone off cakes made in the microwave. However, years later I have been reconverted to mug cake. I tried out a few of the recipes my flatmates book and they were pretty good so I decided to make my own healthy version. I hope you like it! Although the only thing about mug cake is that they never look particularly pretty. Maybe that should be my next challenge.
BANANA MUG CAKE
- 1/2 banana (50g)
- 1 large egg
-50g flour (I used a mix of wholemeal and rye)
- 50g 0% Greek Yogurt (I like Fage or Aldi's authentic 0% greek yogurt)
- Tsp baking powder
- Tsp almond butter (either add to the mug cake mix or put on top afterwards; I usually spread it on top afterwards because it goes all melty and delicious)
1. Choose a large mug microwave safe mug.
2. Mash the banana and add the quark/greek yogurt.
3. Crack in the egg and beat into mixture.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until evenly combined.
5. Put mug in the microwave and cook on high for 2m 15s.
6. EAT either straight out of the mug of turn mug upside down onto a plate and add some toppings.
++ Topping Ideas
- Fruit compote
- Fresh berries
- Nut butter
- Any other ideas ?
Leave a comment if you try out this recipe, I hope you liked it.
Lots of love,